A hybrid car, or hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), uses both an electric motor and an internal combustion engine to propel the vehicle. Hybrids are efficient, eco-friendly cars and vehicles that are available to meet multiple driving needs. The first HEV cars introduced in the U.S. were the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius.
A hybrid is designed to capture energy that is normally lost through braking and coasting to recharge the batteries (regenerative braking), which in turn powers the electric motor.
A 'parallel' HEV uses the electric motor and/or the internal combustion engine or microturbine to propel the vehicle. A 'series' HEV uses the electric motor to provide added power to the internal combustion engine or microturbine. Hybrid electric vehicles have the potential to use electricity to power onboard accessories or to provide outlets to plug in appliances or tools. All have the potential to achieve greater fuel economy than conventional gasoline-engine vehicles.
Advantages of HEVs:
- Reduced fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions
- Optimized fuel efficiency and performance
- Lower fueling costs
- Recovered energy from regenerative braking
- Uses existing gas station infrastructure
"Hybrid vehicles are the fastest growing segment of the light-duty vehicle market" 2011, National Research Council (Assessment of Fuel Economy Technologies)
"The number of registered HEVs in the U.S. grew to nearly 2 million [in 2012]" (State Clean Energy Index)
"Nine of the ten most fuel efficient vehicles today are hybrids or electric vehicles" (Top Ten Lists)
>> For more information and to access the original reports, please register as an associate for free.
- 2012 Honda CR-Z Sport Hybrid Coupe Recognized by USAA as a Best Value USAA's 'Best Value' list focuses on cost, safety and reliability
- 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid: active noise cancellation helps deliver quiet fuel efficiency Ford Fusion: All-new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid delivers EPA-certified 47 mpg city and 47 mpg highway for a 47 mpg combined rating, with Active Noise Cancellation technology; Fusion Hybrid engineers tuned the gasoline engine more efficiently in rpm ranges that typically produce unpleasant powertrain sounds, now suppressed by an advanced noise cancellation system to give driver and passengers a quiet ride
- 2013 Honda Civic Debuts at L.A. Auto Show Packed with Additional Features, Cementing its Class-Leading Status Pricing announced for January debut of Accord Plug-In with class-leading MPGe, Accord Hybrid due next summer; Auto show debuts for 2013 Crosstour and CR-Z
- 2013 Honda CR-Z Sport Hybrid Coupe Gets Performance Enhancements, Fresh Styling and Host of Feature Upgrades Manual-transmission hybrid; Hybrid from Honda; hybrid with a stick shift; The only manual-transmission hybrid for sale in the U.S. adds more horsepower and value to its efficient, fun-to-drive appeal
- 2013 Honda Insight Pricing and EPA Data Sep. 17, 2012 - Model Transmission MSRP* EPA** City/Hwy/Combined MPG Insight CVT 1 $18,500 41/44/42 Insight LX CVT $20,275 41/44/42 Insight EX CVT $21,965 41/44/42...
- 2013 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Product Information Click here to download this article . >> Read more news articles
- A123 Systems to Supply Lithium Ion Battery Packs to BAE Systems for HybriDrive Series Hybrid Electric Propulsion System A123 Systems, a developer and manufacturer of advanced Nanophosphate® lithium ion phosphate batteries and systems, today announced an agreement with BAE Systems, a leading provider and developer of hybrid electric technologies, that expands the companies' long-standing relationship.
- Acura Unveils Next Evolution of NSX Concept at 2013 North American International Auto Show January 15, 2013 - Acura today unveiled a new NSX Concept that showcases the evolution of the next-generation supercar's styling and design, including a first-ever look at one possible direction for the next-generation NSX interior design. Honda is a member of the Electric Drive...
- All-New 2013 ES 350 and First-Ever ES 300h Hybrid with Enhanced Handling and Lexus Signature Design The introduction of the all-new 2013 ES 350 and ES 300h marks the sixth generation of Lexus’ popular luxury sedan since its introduction over 20 years ago.
- All-New 2013 Ford Fusion Earns IIHS Top Safety Pick; Offers Smart Technology, Leading Fuel Economy Hybrid cars safety: The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) recently named the all-new 2013 Ford Fusion a Top Safety Pick for 2012; The all-new Fusion features the Personal Safety System, new safety belt technologies and a total of eight airbags which can provide protection for vehicle occupants in the event of a crash; Redesigned seat-mounted side airbags incorporate new venting technology to further enhance side impact protection.
- All-new 2013 Ford Fusion wins Green Car of the Year Nov. 29, 2012 -- Green Car Journal today named the 2013 Ford Fusion Green Car of the Year at the Los Angeles Auto Show. With five powertrain choices including two EcoBoost® engines plus hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants, the all-new Fusion comes to market with a “game-on attitude,” says...
- All-New 2014 Lexus IS Sport Sedan Makes World Premiere at the North American International Auto Show Engaging and entertaining driving dynamics across the model range; exclusive tuning enhancements on F SPORT models Completely redesigned with bold exterior styling and an LFA-inspired driver-focused cockpit Longer wheelbase with significant increases in rear seat space and trunk...
- All-new Lincoln MKZ offers more standard features, lower price than new Lexus ES 350 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, available at same price as base gasoline-powered model, projected to remain America’s most fuel-efficient premium midsize sedan > The all-new Lincoln MKZ midsize premium sedan, representing the style and substance of the future of Lincoln, delivers more features and lower starting price than the new Lexus ES 350; dealer order banks now open > Standard equipment includes 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine, SYNC® with MyLincoln Touch™ driver connect technology, Lincoln Drive Control, unique push-button shift, remote start, LED headlamps and taillamps, and 60/40 split rear seat; class-exclusive retractable panoramic roof makes production debut > No price premium for new MKZ Hybrid
- All-New, First-Ever 2013 ES 300h Enhances Lexus Hybrid Line-Up With EPA Estimated Fuel Economy of 40 MPG City The 2013 model year marks the sixth generation of the Lexus ES luxury sedan and the introduction of the first-ever, ES 300h with Lexus Hybrid Drive. The ES 300h features the signature Lexus spindle grille, a progressive new design and enhanced handling.
- Allison: Driving transmission technology Leading fully automatic transmission manufacturer highlights advanced technology as the key to saving fuel, emissions and time. At the 64th International Motor Show (IAA) from Sept. 20-27 in Hannover, Germany, Allison Transmission will present its hybrid propulsion systems, all new controls and innovative transmission architectures for commercial vehicles in booth E54, outdoor area south.
- Audi R18 e-tron quattro: heading for Le Mans with all-wheel drive In a month from now a prestigious success will be at stake for Audi. On June 16/17, a hybrid vehicle could be winning the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time.
- Audi: full speed ahead in motorsport too Ingolstadt, December 19, 2012 - With more than 1.34 million worldwide deliveries, Audi equaled last year’s sales record after only eleven months. And in motorsport, the brand with the four rings continues to charge full speed ahead too. The title defense in the FIA World Championship (WEC),...
- BMW Partners with Green Mountain Energy Company to Offer Renewable Energy Certificates to BMW ActiveE Drivers BMW of North America today announced that it will partner with Green Mountain Energy Company to offer drivers of the BMW ActiveE the choice to support renewable energy for their cars.
- Classic Curves: Inspiration Found at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance This year, Infiniti’s team unveiled the new Infiniti Emerg-e for the first time in North America.
- Cumulative Sales of TMC Hybrids Top 2 Million Units in Japan Toyota total hybrid sales: Global Cumulative Sales Surpass 4,600,000 Units
- Cumulative worldwide sales of Honda hybrid vehicles reaches 1 million units TOKYO, Japan, October 15, 2012 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced that its cumulative worldwide sales of hybrid vehicles surpassed 1 million units as of the end of September 2012. This milestone was reached 12 years and 11 months after the start of sales of the first generation Insight in Japan...
- Daimler Presents Extensive Product Offensive The Daimler AG called attention to two world premieres and one European premiere that it will display at the world’s biggest commercial vehicle exhibition in Hanover.
- Delphi presents technologies for greener gasoline, diesel and hybrid vehicles at Aachen Colloquium Innovations include gasoline direct injection with compression ignition and light-weight power electronics for hybrids
- Delphi to Showcase EV/HEV Products at EVS26 Delphi Automotive will display its latest electric and hybrid vehicle technologies at the upcoming 26th International Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS26), which will be held May 6-9 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID and efficiency champions: Impressive efficiency without compromises Mercedes-Benz is continuing its hybrid initiative with the new E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID, the world's most economical luxury-class model (4.2 l of diesel/100 km, 109 g CO2/km). At the same time, efficiency champions such as the SLK 250 CDI, S 250 CDI, ML 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC and SL 350 BlueEFFICIENCY are emphatically demonstrating that the brand continues to take a pioneering role in the continuous improvement of vehicles with internal combustion engines in all classes. The common factor in all these environmentally compatible mobility solutions is their impressive efficiency, with no compromises whatever.
- Eaton Improves Fuel Efficiency, Performance and System Payback with Multiple Enhancements to Its Hybrid Power System KALAMAZOO, Mich. …Diversified industrial manufacturer Eaton Corporation has announced a number of enhancements that will increase the fuel economy, performance and payback of its hybrid power system for commercial vehicles including a new high-capacity battery, a new single-phase 115-volt AC Auxiliary Power Generator (APG), a higher capacity clutch to expand applications up to 860 lb-ft of torque and a new remanufactured battery for aftermarket purchase.
- Enova Announces Development of ACUMEN™ System Enova (NYSE AMEX: ENA and AIM: ENV and ENVS), a leading developer of proprietary hybrid electric and all-electric drive systems and drive system components for the emerging green commercial vehicle market, announced today it has begun development of its next generation system, code named ACUMEN™.
- Enova Systems to Display at EVS26, SDGE 7th Annual Energy Showcase and ACT 2012 Expo TORRANCE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Enova Systems, Inc. (NYSE AMEX: ENA) (AIM: ENV) (AIM: ENVS), a leading developer of proprietary hybrid electric and all-electric drive systems and drive system components for the emerging green commercial vehicle market, is pleased to announce that it...
- Fast Paced Video Highlights Key Advantages of the Odyne Advanced Plug-in Hybrid System for Medium and Heavy Duty Trucks Fleet managers eager to reduce operating costs and their environmental footprint will want to take a look at the new video posted at www.odyne.com.
- Final ‘Random Acts of Fusion’ adventure combines fun, philanthropy and fusion in a way only Ford can Ford dealers throughout the country will present “Go Further with Ford Night” on Thursday, Nov. 15 – a fundraising event that will benefit charities across the U.S., engage consumers in the final “Random Acts of Fusion” adventure and offer them a chance to see the all-new 2013 Ford Fusion in person; While at dealerships, consumers will have an opportunity to test their judging skills with American Idol® and compete to win a unique VIP experience during the show’s 12th season; Random Acts of Fusion is a unique transmedia marketing program that already has introduced Fusion to millions of fans by playing out a story arc through multimedia platforms
- Ford Begins Taking Orders for C-MAX Hybrid – America’s Most Affordable, Fuel-Efficient Hybrid Utility Vehicle Ford dealers are starting to place orders for America’s most affordable and fuel-efficient hybrid utility vehicle – the 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid – with innovative technologies such as a hands-free liftgate, spaciousness for five passengers and cargo as well as the fun-to-drive character shared with well-handling cars including Ford Focus.
- Ford C-MAX Delivers 570 Miles on One Tank of Gas, Taking Customers Further Than Toyota Prius v at 450 Miles All-new 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid delivers EPA-certified 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway ratings – 7 mpg better than Toyota Prius v on the highway – for a 47 mpg combined rating
- Ford C-MAX Delivers 570 Miles on One Tank of Gas, Taking Customers Further Than Toyota Prius v at 450 Miles Ford Motor Company once again raises the hybrid fuel-economy bar with the all-new Ford C-MAX Hybrid, which is now officially EPA-certified at 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway and 47 mpg combined – beating Toyota Prius v by up to 7 mpg.
- Ford C-MAX Hybrid Aims for 47 MPG to Beat Prius v as Most Fuel-Efficient, Affordable Hybrid Utility Vehicle in America Ford’s new C-MAX Hybrid soon will make a big statement in the largest hybrid segment with projected leading fuel economy of 47 mpg city – beating the Toyota Prius v by 3 mpg, plus a $1,300-lower base price.
- Ford C-MAX Hybrid Earns 47 City, 47 Highway, 47 Combined – an EPA Rating Hat Trick; Beats Toyota Prius v by up to 7 MPG Ford Motor Company once again raises the hybrid fuel-economy bar with the all-new Ford C-MAX Hybrid, which is now officially EPA-certified at 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway and 47 mpg combined – beating Toyota Prius v by up to 7 mpg.
- Ford C-MAX Hybrid Outsells Toyota Prius v in First Full Sales Month, Helps Ford Set Hybrid, Small Vehicle Sales Records In its first full month of sales, Ford’s new C-MAX Hybrid outsells Toyota Prius v, 3,182 units to 2,769. Ford sets record for hybrid sales in October with 4,612 units – double October 2011 hybrid sales. C-MAX hybrids help Ford achieve strongest October small car sales in 11 years –a total 25,493 vehicles for a 54 percent increase year over year. Nearly 70 percent of C-MAX Hybrid buyers are new to Ford, with 25 percent of sales in California as Ford continues to make in-roads on the coasts.
- Ford Celebrates Production Launch of the Only Front-Wheel- Drive Hybrid Transmission To Be Made in North America Ford’s Van Dyke Transmission Plant adds hybrid transmission capacity thanks to a new, flexible assembly line supporting Ford C-MAX Hybrid, C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid, Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
- Ford Fusion Certified As America’s Most Fuel-Efficient Midsize Sedan All-new Ford Fusion is America’s most fuel-efficient midsize sedan after being certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to deliver 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway, 47 mpg combined in hybrid model. Ford Fusion Hybrid beats Toyota Camry Hybrid by 8 mpg highway, 4 mpg city. New Fusion offers greatest powertrain range of all midsize sedans with five engines, including two EcoBoost® options and hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants for true power of choice.
- Ford Fusion Interior Takes Cues from Sculpted, Three-Dimensional Fashion Trends on This Season’s Runways Ford Fusion Hybrid interior: This season’s fashion focuses on textures and sculpted looks, with a wide variety of color; the trend is similar to the interior of the all-new Ford Fusion; Ford Fusion offers a sculpted interior with sleek, symmetrical lines and both high and subtle contrasts in color; In both fashion and vehicle interiors, details are extremely important, from lace on a collar to the grain in a wood finish
- Ford Fusion Launch Ads Show How All-New Sedan Sets Itself Apart from the Bland Competition Ford Fusion ads: Three television commercials for the all-new Ford Fusion debut this week and show viewers how and why this sleek new sedan outshines the competition; In one of the new ads, all other vehicles on the road become invisible while the new Fusion remains, standing apart from the crowd. In another, a Fusion drives over a cliff showing off “the one thing” the car cannot do; The ads are part of an integrated launch campaign that builds on the “Random Acts of Fusion” digital series starring Ryan Seacrest and print ads developed with input from Chinese artist Liu Bolin
- Ford Gives Consumers 47 More Reasons to Get Involved with Random Acts of Fusion Ford announces new Fusion Hybrid attains EPA-certified 47 mpg city and 47 mpg highway for a 47 mpg combined rating, making it America’s most fuel-efficient sedan.
- Ford targets Prius, non-hybrid owners by redrawing popular classic animated character in new C-MAX ads Ford C-MAX ad: New TV, digital and print campaign – featuring Italian “La Linea” character popularized in the U.S. in the 1970s and 80s – highlights how Ford C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid top Toyota Prius v and Prius plug-in in MPGe and more; New ads also showcase C-MAX Hybrid’s “real-vehicle” performance, technology and value to attract non-hybrid intenders who have not been willing to sacrifice attributes they are used to receiving from traditional gas-powered vehicles; C-MAX Hybrid delivers EPA-certified 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway ratings – 7 mpg better than Prius v on the highway – for a 47 mpg combined rating; All-new 2013 C-MAX Hybrid is expected to be America’s most affordable hybrid utility vehicle with a base price of $25,995, including destination and delivery, which is $1,300 lower than Prius v
- Ford’s new Li-Ion batteries reduce use of rare earth metals, enable superior fuel economy for Fusion, C-Max hybrids Ford li-ion batteries in Fusing hybrid and C-Max hybrid reduce use of rare earth metals. New projected 47-mpg Ford Fusion Hybrid and EPA-certified 47-mpg C-MAX Hybrid feature lighter, more efficient, more powerful lithium-ion batteries that are expected to reduce Ford’s use of expensive, rare earth metals by up to 500,000 pounds annually. Dysprosium, the most expensive rare earth metal used in Ford vehicles, is reduced by approximately 50 percent in new Fusion and C-MAX hybrids’ electric machines. These rare earth metal reductions helped Ford cut the cost of its third-generation hybrid technology by 30 percent, adding to the overall value of the new C-MAX Hybrid – America’s most affordable hybrid utility vehicle starting at $25,995 – and Fusion Hybrid
- Going Green on the Prairie: GE Opens First of Its Kind Test Center for Alternative Fuel Vehicles in Minnesota Debora Frodl knows something about hybrids. Frodl is the alternative fuels maven and chief strategy officer at GE Capital Fleet Services. Her clients are car and truck fleet operators. For some time now, they’ve been asking about hybrids, electric vehicles and car and trucks powered by alternatives to gas and diesel like compressed and liquefied natural gas. Which make should they buy and which fuel to use?
- Great Minds Think Electric The 26th annual Electric Vehicle Symposium in Los Angeles (EVS26) is a show completely dedicated to electric vehicles in the newest shapes, colors, and sizes. This year's event was the first time for both the Nissan LEAF and the Infiniti LE to sit side by side.
- Historic Triumph: Audi Achieves First Victory of a Hybrid Vehicle at Le Mans Historic triumph: Audi achieves first victory of a hybrid vehicle at Le Mans
- Honda Develops New Lightweight and Compact Hybrid System Named "SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive" Honda hybrid systems: Three Different Honda SPORT HYBRID Systems Accommodate Different Vehicle Characteristics
- Honda to Begin Reuse of Rare Earth Metals Extracted from Used Nickel-metal Hydride Batteries before the End of 2012 Honda Motor Co., Ltd., which has been extracting rare earth metals from used nickel-metal hydride batteries at the plant of Japan Metals & Chemicals Co., Ltd. from April of this year, today announced plans to begin reusing the extracted metals before the end of 2012.
- Honda to Build New 2014 Accord Hybrid in U.S. Auto Plant in Marysville Will Expand, Add 50 Jobs January 10, 2013 - Honda of America Mfg., Inc. announced today that it will invest $23 million and hire approximately 50 new associates at its Marysville, Ohio auto plant to add production of the new two-motor Accord Hybrid Sedan, scheduled...
- Honda's Indiana Plant to Boost Production Capacity; Add Civic Hybrid Honda Manufacturing of Indiana, LLC (HMIN) announced today that it is investing $40 million to increase annual production capacity by 50,000 units to a total of 250,000 vehicles.
- Hybrid Models Have Lower - 17-Nov-2011 Hybrid Models Have Lower Injury Odds Than Their Conventional Counterparts, Highway Loss Data Institute - November 17, 2011
- Hyundai Invites Consumers to Petition for Fuel Efficiency Month America's Most Fuel-Efficient Car Company Launches Campaign for Official Recognition of Fuel Economy Awareness
- Key technology for key buses – hybrid makes its mark in Offenburg city center Two Citaro G BlueTec Hybrid buses go to Offenburg; Added comfort with transmission-free four-wheel drive; Electric, emission-free and virtually noiseless over urban routes of up to 10 km in length; Hybrid drive makes electric driving in the pedestrian zone possible
- Lexus LS Flagship Luxury Sedans Redesigned For 2013 Model Year With its dynamic handling, bold new design and superior craftsmanship, the 2013 LS flagship models hail the future of the Lexus brand as it embarks on its third decade in the premium luxury category.
- Lexus to Unveil New LS Flagship Sedan Lexus will hold the World Premiere of the new Lexus LS flagship sedan at a special invitation-only event in San Francisco on Monday, July 30.
- Lexus Unveils All-New 2013 ES 350 and First-Ever ES 300h Hybrid at New York International Auto Show Lexus today unveiled the all-new 2013 ES lineup, including the ES 350 and ES 300h equipped with Lexus Hybrid Drive.
- Mitsubishi Motors Corporation's World Premiere of Two Concept Models at the 2013 Geneva International Motor Show Tokyo - February 14, 2013 - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) will give the MITSUBISHI Concept GR-HEV 1 and MITSUBISHI Concept CA-MiEV 2 concept models their global debut at the 83rd Geneva International Motor Show which runs from March 5 through March 17 (opening to the general public on...
- NASCAR's Clint Bowyer pushes technology edge with Prius Dream Build TORRANCE, Calif., (Oct. 20, 2012) – Fresh from his third NASCAR Sprint Cup victory of the season on Saturday in Charlotte, Clint Bowyer finds himself neck-deep in another chase – to win the Toyota Racing Dream Build Challenge ( http://www.toyotaracingdreambuild.com/ ). Bowyer, currently...
- New 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium blends unsurpassed fuel efficiency with premium amenities All-new Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium adds premium amenities and technology to the most fuel-efficient midsize family sedan in America; Standard features include leather interior, premium Sony® audio system and MyFord Touch®; Customers can select a Fusion Titanium model with either a hybrid powertrain or the 2.0-liter EcoBoost® all-wheel-drive powertrain for the same base price of $32,995.
- Nissan Releases Serena S-HYBRID in Japan Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the new Serena S-HYBRID, which goes on sale today nationwide at Nissan dealers throughout Japan.
- Nissan Reports on Eco-Targets, Unveils Hybrid Plans YOKOHAMA – 12/12/2012 – Nissan gave an update on a slew of eco-targets Wednesday, highlighting cuts in CO2 emissions and a plan to add 15 hybrid models by 2016. Chief Operating Officer Toshiyuki Shiga provided details on the company’s environmental...
- Nissan Resonance Concept to Make Global Debut January 15 Franklin, TN - January 10, 2013 – The Nissan Resonance Concept makes its global debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 15th. The Resonance is the latest in a series of envelope-pushing crossover designs from Nissan, fusing bold, breakthrough styling with...
- Odyne Systems, LLC Participates in Nation’s First Traditional Parade Powered by Advanced Energy Odyne Systems, LLC, a clean technology company that develops and manufactures hybrid drive systems for medium and heavy duty trucks, participated May 10 in the Children’s Tulip Parade in Holland Michigan, a featured event in the 83rd Tulip Festival.
- Powertrain Innovation Comes Standard on 2013 Regal The 2013 Buick Regal luxury sport sedan arrives at dealerships this fall with a standard advanced eAssist powertrain and 36 highway mpg. Two powerful turbocharged four-cylinder engines give Regal one of the most technologically advanced engine ranges in the brand’s history.
- Pricing announced for 2013 Prius, Prius v and Prius Plug-In Prius adds Persona series special edition
- Richmond NASCAR winner Clint Bowyer launches Toyota Prius Dream Build 'Tekked-Out Prius' Puts Bowyer in Another Chase—to Win Toyota Racing Dream Build Challenge
- Setting a good example for the region Regional pioneer: using the first hybrid drive truck to be mass-produced in Europe
- Summary of Honda's CEO Speech on September 21, 2012 [...] As for hybrid vehicles, Honda will adopt three different systems with unique individual characteristics depending on the model in order to fulfill the needs of more customers. As for the lightweight and compact one-motor hybrid system, EV driving range will be...
- Survey: Americans go slower, choose greener goods like new Fusion EcoBoost with $295 auto start-stop technology Recent Ford survey shows 82 percent of Americans are paying more upfront for green products that save money longer term, as many drive slower and take other steps to conserve fuel. New 2013 Ford Fusion offers hybrid-based Auto Start-Stop technology that shuts off the engine at stops to reduce fuel consumption in stop-and-go driving conditions. If just 50,000 customers add the $295 Auto Start-Stop Fusion option, it could save more than 14 million pounds of CO2 emissions and nearly 1 million gallons of gasoline annually. New Fusion is the first vehicle ever to offer the power of choice with fuel-efficient EcoBoost®, EcoBoost with Auto Start-Stop, hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains.
- The All-New BMW ActiveHybrid 3. The quintessential sport sedan combines with cutting-edge hybrid technology for a new dimension to The Ultimate Driving Machine TM
- The Checkered Flag Le Mans 24 Hours concluded Sunday, with the world's oldest endurance race seeing a few historical firsts including a hybrid champion, as well as many technological advances.
- The New Toyota Auris – Pioneering Full Hybrid Technology Leads Debut of Smarter, Bolder and More Dynamic Product The new Auris will debut at the Paris Motor Show as the first step in Toyota’s product offensive in the C-segment
- The world Championship in fuel-efficient driving: Frank Zauft achieved 49.9 mpg on new Jetta Hybrid Californian wins VW fuel-efficiency contest at 49.9 mpg with Volkswagen Passat Hybrid
- Three Toyota Models Selected as Best Family Cars of 2012 Prius v, Camry and Sienna Make the Annual Parents Magazine and Edmunds.com List
- TMC Announces Status of Its Environmental Technology Development, Future Plans 21 Toyota Hybrids to be Launched by End of 2015, Newly Developed “eQ” EV Revealed
- TMC Develops Mutual Power Supply System for Electric Vehicles and Homes Tests to Start in Toyota City at End of 2012
- Toyota brings hybrids to the living room as first automaker on HSN TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 8, 2012 – Toyota introduced its all-new Avalon Hybrid and its hybrid vehicle lineup into millions of living rooms across America on Sunday, Oct. 7, with a “Discover Toyota” showcase that aired on multichannel retailer HSN at 12 noon, 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. EDT....
- Toyota launches Canada’s first Certified Used Hybrid Vehicle program Program ensures Canadians can buy the most proven, most popular hybrids with confidence
- Toyota Prius Plug-In model helping propel hybrid cause Over 6000 Toyota Plug-In Hybrids Sold After 6 Months. Customers Maximizing EV Range for Savings.
- Toyota Racing Reveals Updated TS030 Hybrid for 2013 February 19, 2013 - TOYOTA Racing today unveiled the revised TS030 HYBRID car which will spearhead the team's quest for victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours and the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) this season. Toyota is a member of the Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA)...
- Toyota’s $1,000 Rebate Program for College Graduates Now Includes the New Prius c Toyota Financial Services (TFS), in partnership with Toyota Motor Sales, is excited to announce that the new Prius c is the first hybrid vehicle option available to recent college graduates who want to take advantage of the company’s College Grad Rebate Program.
- U.S. Athletes Go for the Gold with Help from BMW Renowned for high performance, BMW earned its standout reputation through the glory of competition. Now, a fresh crop of world-class athletes will get the same opportunity – some with a helping hand from The Ultimate Driving Machine® – at the 2012 London Olympic Games, taking place July 27–August 12.
- UPS to add 40 hydraulic hybrid vehicles to its fleet New UPS hybrid delivery vehicles to be deployed in Baltimore and Atlanta providing improved fuel economy, lower carbon emissions
- UQM Technologies announces strategic alliance in China to broaden its global customer base UQM now has customers on four continents; All-electric and hybrid vehicle sales in China are projected to reach 5M units by 2020
- UQM-powered Proterra transit bus passes rigorous FTA new model bus testing program Proterra EcoRide™ BE35 is the first heavy-duty electric bus to pass FTA Altoona bus testing ; Well-known Altoona testing encompasses safety, structural integrity and durability, reliability, performance, maintainability, noise and fuel economy; Proterra buses are powered by UQM PowerPhase HD® electric drive systems
- Volkswagen announces 2013 Jetta Hybrid pricing VW Jetta Hybrid offers competitive pricing, excellent fuel economy, and the fun-to-drive nature expected of a Volkswagen. Jetta Hybrid starts at $24,995*, with SE priced from $26,990; Most fuel-efficient Jetta in the lineup with manufacturer estimated combined fuel economy of 45 mpg** ; World’s first hybrid to use a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission; Fastest compact hybrid in its class with an estimated 0-60 mph of less than 9.0 seconds; Drives as a full EV at speeds of up to 44 mph; Premium features include LED taillights and Daytime Running Lights, plus Bi-Xenon headlights; Jetta range now extended to five different powertrains, providing a German-engineered compact sedan for everyone.
- Volkswagen Continues Its Product Offensive for Model Year 2013 •Jetta Hybrid will combine best-in-class performance with an estimated combined fuel consumption of 45 mpg; goes on sale in late fall
- Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid sets production car land speed record at Bonneville world finals Turbocharged Jetta Hybrid sets SCTA H/PS production car record, averaging 186.313 mph over two runs—on 1.4 liters! Car sets another fastest hybrid time, passing 300 km/h with a run at 187.147 mph.
- Volkswagen's Jetta Hybrid is the World's Fastest Hybrid Motor Trend magazine writer Carlos Lago runs 185 mph (298 kph) in turbocharged Jetta Hybrid to set Hybrid Speed Record at the Bonneville Salt Flats
- World premiere of the Lexus LF-CC concept car at the 2012 Paris Motor Show Three key things about the Lexus hybrid coupe: LF-CC displays the latest evolution of the L-finesse design language and signature spindle grille, to be reflected in future Lexus D-Segment vehicles. Announces the market launch of a mid-size coupe in the near future. Features a new 2.5 litre full hybrid powertrain with class-leading CO2 emissions, which will be introduced soon in the Lexus model range.
- Worldwide Sales of TMC Hybrids Top 4 Million Units Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces that global cumulative sales of its hybrid vehicles have topped the 4 million mark as of April 301.
- XL Hybrids Signs Supply Agreement with Johnson Controls Lithium-Ion battery to power XL Hybrids’ Class 1 to 3 commercial vehicle hybrid electric powertrain