A hybrid car, or hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), uses both an electric motor and an internal combustion engine to propel the vehicle. Hybrids are efficient, eco-friendly cars and vehicles that are available to meet multiple driving needs. The first HEV cars introduced in the U.S. were the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius.
A hybrid is designed to capture energy that is normally lost through braking and coasting to recharge the batteries (regenerative braking), which in turn powers the electric motor.
A 'parallel' HEV uses the electric motor and/or the internal combustion engine or microturbine to propel the vehicle. A 'series' HEV uses the electric motor to provide added power to the internal combustion engine or microturbine. Hybrid electric vehicles have the potential to use electricity to power onboard accessories or to provide outlets to plug in appliances or tools. All have the potential to achieve greater fuel economy than conventional gasoline-engine vehicles.
Advantages of HEVs:
- Reduced fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions
- Optimized fuel efficiency and performance
- Lower fueling costs
- Recovered energy from regenerative braking
- Uses existing gas station infrastructure
"Hybrid vehicles are the fastest growing segment of the light-duty vehicle market" 2011, National Research Council (Assessment of Fuel Economy Technologies)
"The number of registered HEVs in the U.S. grew to nearly 2 million [in 2012]" (State Clean Energy Index)
"Nine of the ten most fuel efficient vehicles today are hybrids or electric vehicles" (Top Ten Lists)
>> For more information and to access the original reports, please register as an associate for free.
- Toyota Racing Reveals Updated TS030 Hybrid for 2013 February 19, 2013 - TOYOTA Racing today unveiled the revised TS030 HYBRID car which will spearhead the team's quest for victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours and the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) this season. Toyota is a member of the Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA)...
- Mitsubishi Motors Corporation's World Premiere of Two Concept Models at the 2013 Geneva International Motor Show Tokyo - February 14, 2013 - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) will give the MITSUBISHI Concept GR-HEV 1 and MITSUBISHI Concept CA-MiEV 2 concept models their global debut at the 83rd Geneva International Motor Show which runs from March 5 through March 17 (opening to the general public on...
- All-New 2014 Lexus IS Sport Sedan Makes World Premiere at the North American International Auto Show Engaging and entertaining driving dynamics across the model range; exclusive tuning enhancements on F SPORT models Completely redesigned with bold exterior styling and an LFA-inspired driver-focused cockpit Longer wheelbase with significant increases in rear seat space and trunk...
- Acura Unveils Next Evolution of NSX Concept at 2013 North American International Auto Show January 15, 2013 - Acura today unveiled a new NSX Concept that showcases the evolution of the next-generation supercar's styling and design, including a first-ever look at one possible direction for the next-generation NSX interior design. Honda is a member of the Electric Drive...
- Honda to Build New 2014 Accord Hybrid in U.S. Auto Plant in Marysville Will Expand, Add 50 Jobs January 10, 2013 - Honda of America Mfg., Inc. announced today that it will invest $23 million and hire approximately 50 new associates at its Marysville, Ohio auto plant to add production of the new two-motor Accord Hybrid Sedan, scheduled...