Fuel Cell Electric
A number of fuel cell powered electric vehicles are on the roads worldwide, including passenger cars, delivery trucks, buses and military vehicles. Researchers are working to bring down fuel cell and related component costs and to improve durability to enable full commercialization. California boasts the largest number of fuel cell fleets, and there are demonstration projects nationwide, including Washington, DC.
Advantages of fuel cell electric vehicles:
- Zero tailpipe emissions (no CO2 or other pollutants)
- Higher energy efficiency than the internal combustion engine
- Regenerative braking captures and reuses braking energy
- Potential of near-zero well-to-wheel emissions when using renewable fuels to produce hydrogen
- Energy security: no dependence on petroleum
- Grid connection potential providing energy "on call" to the grid
- Cost reduction
- Increased reliability and durability
- Hydrogen generation, distribution, dispensing and onboard storage
- Availability and affordability of hydrogen refueling
- Codes and standards development
- Scalability for mass manufacture
- Consumer education
"Air Products reports 347,000 hydrogen fuelings per year" (Fuel Cells in America)
"Major corporations like IKEA, FedEx, Hilton Hotels and Coca-Cola [use fuel cell vehicles in their fleets]" (The Business Case for Fuel Cells)
>> For more information and to access the original reports, please register as an associate for free.
- The Strategic Cooperation Between Daimler and the Renault-Nissan Alliance Forms Agreement with Ford to Accelerate Commercialization of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Technology Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., have signed a unique three-way agreement for the joint development of common fuel cell system to speed up availability of zero-emission technology and significantly reduce investment costs Collaboration expected to lead to launch...
- Toyota powers-up first of its kind stationary fuel cell TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 17, 2012 – Furthering its commitment to alternative energy and the environment, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) activated today a new 1.1-megawatt hydrogen fuel cell generator on the Torrance headquarters campus. The fuel cell will supply approximately half of...
- Energy Department announces $1 million to evaluate technology pathways for cost-competitive hydrogen fuel In support of the Obama Administration's all-of-the-above energy strategy, the Energy Department announced today new funding to evaluate the most promising technology paths toward achieving $2 to $4 per gallon gasoline equivalent (gge) of hydrogen fuel or less by 2020. The funding will...
- Hyundai reveals three world premieres at Paris Motor Show Hyundai ix35 Fuel Cell ready for public & private fleets
- Nissan TeRRA stars at the Paris Motor Show 2012 Innovation and excitement - Nissan brings its brand message to life at the Paris Motor Show; TeRRA fuel cell electric vehicle takes center stage after global unveil Nissan Executive Vice President Andy Palmer and Chief Creative Officer Shiro Nakamura lead the presentation of Nissan's vision of a Zero Emission future; Images and video showing the Nissan Paris Motor Show press conference now live
- TMC Announces Status of Its Environmental Technology Development, Future Plans 21 Toyota Hybrids to be Launched by End of 2015, Newly Developed “eQ” EV Revealed
- Hyundai provides zero-emissions hydrogen fuel cell ix35 to municipality of Copenhagen 15 Vehicles to be delivered in spring 2013; Toward a carbon-free Danish capital by 2025
- 2013 Hydrogen Student Design Contest to Develop Fueling Infrastructure Plan for Northeast U.S. The 9th Annual Hydrogen Student Design Contest will challenge student teams to create a plan to implement a hydrogen infrastructure in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Building on the recently unveiled California Road Map for hydrogen fueling stations to support fuel cell electric...
- Zero emissions, zero limits: Nissan's Terra SUV Concept takes sustainability off-road Nissan TeRRA SUV Concept: Nissan-developed fuel cell vehicle opens path to future zero-emission SUV featuring electric 3-motor AWD. Compact SUV exterior design expresses athletic eco-appeal with "Modern Toughness" that's confident off-road or in the city. Unique seating layout and material fusion set a new paradigm in SUV category. Portable instrument cluster creates seamless digital space.
- International car manufacturers join forces in the name of hydrogen! Stuttgart, Sep 12, 2012 - September 13 marks an extraordinary milestone in the history of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV). Four international car manufacturers will join forces to demonstrate hydrogen-powered FCEVs are not just technologies of the future but of today. A total of 7 FCEVs...
- DOE live Webcast on Accelerating Innovation: Energy Storage Webinar from the Department of Energy about using cryotanks to store hydrogen when used as a vehicle fuel; research in technologies including: lithium ion batteries, electrochromic windows, the fabrication of nano-architecture electrodes for electrochemical systems, and surface atomic modification of electrode materials to improve performance.
- New Energy Department Report Shows Strong Growth in the Fuel Cell Market in 2011 2011 Fuel Cell Technologies Market Report DOE report: Commercial markets for fuel cell technologies expanded significantly over 2011. Continued growth is forecasted through 2012.
- Kia - looking to the future Development of alternative-fuel powertrains Hybrid and FCEV vehicles are main focus for company Real-world testing taking place in Korea It used to be said that the only certainties in life are death and taxes, but there is...
- DOE: Request for Information (RFI) Regarding High-Accuracy Meters for Hydrogen Fueling Equipment The Fuel Cell Technologies Program has issued an RFI seeking feedback from interested stakeholders regarding the current and near-term status and availability of high-accuracy meters that can perform under hydrogen fueling conditions and meet measurement accuracy requirements.
- DOE Fuel Cell Technologies Program: Revitalized Senate Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Caucus Holds Inaugural Meeting The revitalized Senate Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Caucus held its inaugural meeting, titled "Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Briefing: Celebrating a Clean Energy American Success Story," on July 18. Co-chaired by Senators Blumenthal, Graham, Hoeven, and Coons, the goal of the Caucus is to help Senators and Hill staffers get information on fuel cell and hydrogen technologies, including their role in creating jobs and making a difference across the country today.
- Energy Department Invests in Hydrogen Infrastructure and Fueling Technologies Projects to Reduce Costs and Drive Higher Performance
- 50 hydrogen filling stations for Germany: Federal Ministry of Transportation and industrial partners build nationwide network of filling stations The German Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Development (BMVBS) and several industrial companies today signed a joint Letter of Intent to expand the network of hydrogen filling stations in Germany. By 2015, Germany will have a supply network of at least 50 public filling stations.
- DOE Webinar June 19: BNL’s Low-Platinum Electrocatalysts for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles The Energy Department will present a live webcast titled Brookhaven National Laboratory's (BNL) Low-Platinum Electrocatalysts for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEVs) on June 19, 2012, from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.
- EERE Webinar June 20: Accelerating Innovation in Fuel Cells June 20: Live Webcast on Accelerating Innovation in Fuel Cells The Energy Department, in partnership with the Battelle Commercialization Council of Labs, will present a live webcast titled Accelerating Innovation: Fuel Cells on Wednesday, June 20, 2012,...
- Report 2010: The Business Case for - September-2010 The Business Case for Fuel Cells, Fuel Cells 2000 - September, 2010
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class F-CELL secures victory with zero emissions The Mercedes-Benz B-Class F-CELL is the best electric car with fuel cell - this is the result of an online survey completed by 18,324 readers of specialist magazines "Auto Bild" and "Auto Test".
- The first fuel-cell buses with hybrid technology go into regular service in Switzerland PostAuto Schweiz AG has become the first company in Switzerland to deploy fuel-cell technology for public road transport.
- P&G Converts to Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Forklifts at 3 Plants Program Aims to Reduce Environmental Footprint, Increase Productivity and Reduce Costs
- MTA Promises a Greener Future for Michigan The Mass Transportation Authority (MTA) today unveiled its new hydrogen fuel cell bus and opened their alternative fuel facility in Grand Blanc Township. The MTA is the first transportation agency in the Midwest with a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. The vehicles will be stored at the Grand Blanc Service Center and Alternative Fuel Facility location.
- Energy Department Webinar May 22: DOE Highlights Tool to Estimate the Economic Benefits of Fuel Cell Adoption The Energy Department will present a live webinar on May 22, 2012, featuring a new modeling tool for estimating the economic benefits of fuel cells in early market applications. The tool, called "Job and Output Benefits of Stationary Fuel Cells (JOBS FC): Economic Benefits of Fuel Cells," estimates the number of jobs created by deploying fuel cells in forklifts, backup power, and prime power applications. The webinar will be offered on Tuesday, May 22, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.
- Emissions-free fuel-cell car from Mercedes-Benz conquers Hollywood An increasing number of Hollywood stars are opting for eco-friendly mobility from Mercedes-Benz. Actress Diane Kruger is one of more than 35 environmental enthusiasts and early adopters in California who are among the first to drive the locally emissions-free B-Class F-CELL vehicle. This electric vehicle with fuel cells from Mercedes-Benz generates electricity on board in a chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. With a range of around 400 km and short refuelling times, the B-Class F-CELL combines locally emissions-free mobility with suitability for long journeys and impressive performance. The vehicle produces no emissions, but only pure water.
- U.S. Department of Energy Extends RFI Deadline on Hydrogen Prize The U.S. Department of Energy Fuel Cell Technologies Program released a Request for Information seeking ideas for topics and criteria for a potential second Hydrogen Prize competition
- Great Minds Think Electric The 26th annual Electric Vehicle Symposium in Los Angeles (EVS26) is a show completely dedicated to electric vehicles in the newest shapes, colors, and sizes. This year's event was the first time for both the Nissan LEAF and the Infiniti LE to sit side by side.
- Energy Department Announces Milestone in Fuel Cell Use Nearly 1,200 fuel cells have been deployed through the Recovery Act